Tuesday 30 July 2013

Introducing Sourima Shivhare

Sourima is the scientist behind our The Amazing Three Parent Monkey comic. This was one of our more challenging comics as the subject was so new to folks that we couldn't assume anything. Sourima worked with writer Alexi Conman and artist Tony Hitchman on this comic, with colours and lettering by Paul Thompson.


Who are you?
I am an early stage researcher interested in human reproduction, particularly embryology. Evidently I love science, but importantly also have a keen interest in effective science communication.

What have you done / what are you doing?
I am a 2nd Year student at Newcastle University studying my PhD in Obstetrics and Gynaecology. Prior to this I studied Clinical Embryology and after having worked with the eggs, sperms and embryos I realised I better study the uterus to complete the picture. So, currently I am looking at blood vessel development in the human uterus in one of the most common bleeding disorders, called menorrhagia.

What excites you about comics?
I like simple but visually powerful comics. Although not a fanatic, I appreciate and understand the strength of the use of comics in making science simpler and perhaps more interesting, especially to the younger audience.

What excites you about science?
The fact that it almost always makes sense!